[Samba] Adding user to group doesn't propagate?

Harald Hannelius harald+samba at arcada.fi
Wed Jun 17 11:11:13 UTC 2020

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> On 17/06/2020 11:54, Harald Hannelius wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Jun 2020, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
>>> On 17/06/2020 11:39, Harald Hannelius via samba wrote:
>>
>> Sorry, You lost me here. Has this been discussed recently? I'm in the
>> middle of so many projects I haven't had time to sit and follow this list
>> as much as I'd like to.
> No, it hasn't been discussed before, it happened to myself a couple of weeks
> ago, I added the user to a group and 'id' didn't show the group, everything
> else showed the user was a group member. I just put it down to one of those
> things, but the following day, 'id' showed the group, so I think it must be a
> cache problem.

I see.

I just checked, and all other users who show up correctly in the new group
are indeed not logged on to the domain.

Could it be that an active session locks the group memberships until the
user logs out and in again? This might even be exactly like Windows works if
I read correctly.

>> I read somewhere that there's some caching going on, but there was no real
>> solution on how to purge this cache other than have the client log out of
>> their computer and on again. I have asked my colleague to do this, so it
>> might be that waiting until tomorrow won't work.
>
> I tried all that, it just worked the following day. The only thing I didn't
> do, raise the log level.

Ok, I'll wait if the logout/login doesn't work.

--

Harald Hannelius | harald.hannelius/a\arcada.fi | +358 50 594 1020