[Samba] DHCP - Samba as second AD DC

Michael Howard mike at dewberryfields.co.uk
Wed Jun 17 09:37:09 UTC 2020

So,  I have a MS Windows 2016 AD DC. I've setup samba as a second AD DC
running on a low power ARM device and all looks good.

If I shut down the Windows DC all looks good then too, initially.
However, should the Windows DC be down for any length of time I will
encounter DHCP issues.

My thoughts on this are two fold. One is running a DHCP server on the
ARM box permanently and splitting the scope, the other is configuring up
the DHCP server on the ARM device and running it only when it detects
the Windows DC is down.

Anybody care to comment on the above or anything else related?

--
Michael Howard