[Samba] Samba as a domain member:

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jun 15 17:35:14 UTC 2020

On 15/06/2020 18:02, Christopher Cox via samba wrote:
> Actually, as far as a base statement, you can have both,

You cannot have the same user in /etc/passwd and AD, though if you
persevere enough you probably could create them in both databases.

Lets take a user called 'fred':

rowland at devstation:~/tests$ cat /etc/passwd | grep 'fred'

Which on 'devstation' produces no output, so the user isn't in
/etc/passwd, but:

rowland at devstation:~/tests$ getent passwd fred

Produces this:

fred:*:10005:10000::/home/fred:/bin/bash

So, even though 'fred' isn't in /etc/passwd, the Linux OS knows who
'fred' is, so lets try and create 'fred' as a Linux user:

rowland at devstation:~/tests$ sudo adduser fred
[sudo] password for rowland:
adduser: The user `fred' already exists.

So, the OS will not let me create 'fred' in /etc/passwd

I could probably create 'fred' in /etc/passwd by removing 'winbind' from
the 'passwd' line in /etc/nsswitch.conf, but this would mean that the
Linux user 'fred' would be used instead of the AD user 'fred', even when
I put winbind back in /etc/nsswitch.conf.

Please don't try to 'bend' AD, that way will only lead to trouble and
there is absolutely no reason to do it.

Rowland