[Samba] Patches for OpenVMS && Samba4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jun 12 20:09:37 UTC 2020

On Fri, 2020-06-12 at 08:41 -0600, Swift Griggs via samba wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jun 2020, Andrew Bartlett via samba wrote:
> > I can't find any evidence in the source code for new patches to
> > have
> > Samba build on VMS
>
> Okay, well, at least I didn't just overlook something.
>
> > it certainly wasn't something we actively targeted when we moved
> > from
> > autoconf to WAF with Samba 4.1.
>
> I'd be shocked if you did. Python 3.x isn't available on OpenVMS just
> yet
> (only 2.7 works AFAIK). The waf-based build looks like it's not going
> be too friendly if I don't get a version of Python it'll cooperate
> with.
>
> Looking at the code, it seems it's Python 3.x specific.

Samba will build with Python 2.7 if you force it (set PYTHON=python
before every configure and make, configure with --disable-python etc).

If possible get Python 3.5 working because at some point we will drop
it, but you may wish to have that battle independently.

When working to port, avoid #ifdef VMS all over the code, instead try
and do that in the wscript and have individual features
omitted/modified.  Otherwise it would end up as an #ifdef tree of VMS,
SunOS, AIX all over the place.

Finally, I would do your work on master, so you can easily submit
patches to us, then backport them.  That way you will have less work
going into the future as those patches will likely stick around and you
get a good sense that the next version will also 'just work'.

All the best!

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett                       https://samba.org/~abartlet/