[Samba] Samba shares for raoming profiles and redirected folders

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Thu Jun 11 20:29:34 UTC 2020

On our existing samba43 installation I see this:

ll -d /var/samba4/BROCKLEY-2016/USERS/
drwxrwx---+ 21 root  BROCKLEY-2016\domain admins  512 Feb 14 08:43
/var/samba4/BROCKLEY-2016/USERS/

ll -d /var/samba4/BROCKLEY/USERS/
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  3 Jun 11 14:32 /var/samba4/BROCKLEY/USERS/

I have read
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_Share_Using_Windows_ACLs#Granting_the_SeDiskOperatorPrivilege_Privilege
and to be frank, this leaves me more confused than anything else.

I have done this:

net rpc rights grant "BROCKLEY\administrator" SeDiskOperatorPrivilege -U
"BROCKLEY\administrator"
Enter BROCKLEY\administrator's password:
Successfully granted rights.

net rpc rights grant "BROCKLEY\domain admins" SeDiskOperatorPrivilege -U
"BROCKLEY\administrator"
Enter BROCKLEY\administrator's password:
Successfully granted rights.

net rpc rights list privileges SeDiskOperatorPrivilege -U "BROCKLEY\administrator"
Enter BROCKLEY\administrator's password:
SeDiskOperatorPrivilege:
BROCKLEY\Administrator
BROCKLEY\Domain Admins

But, I suspect that this is at best unnecessary and at worse total wrong.

I have tried to set the USERS security setting from RSAT but the console simply
closes whenever I try to open the security tab.

I did this once for the existing domain and I do not recall having this much
difficulty.

On the existing domain there is no entry in /etc/group having to do with samba.

How do I set the group to BROCKLEY\domain admins for
/var/samba4/BROCKLEY/USERS/ on the new location?

Canada  L8E 3C3