[Samba] include in smb.conf

Marcio Demetrio Bacci marciobacci at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 11:59:26 UTC 2020

Hi Rowland

>Hi Marcio, we would need more info, where are you migrating the
home folders from ? and where to ?
I copied Windows Server 2008 folders and permissions with ROBOCOPY to my
Samba 4 server.

>I know you mentioned a Win 2008 server, are the home folders stored
on that ?
The personal folders were stored on it (Windows), but now they are on my
new Samba 4 file server.

>Another problem is that there are at least two types of home
folders, Windows home directories usually linked to a drive letter e.g.
'H:' and Unix home directories e.g. /home/username
The folders must be mounted on a drive letter, ex: "H" in the windows
clients workstations.

>You may be able to use something like rsync, but there might be a
better way, it depends where the home folders are now.
What would the best way?

Another problem is that I was comparing the permissions that were in
Windows and replicating in Samba 4. As the folders were created manually
there was no "CREATE OWNER" permission and this way I removed it. Now, I
don't find the "CREATE OWNER" permissions just find "GROUP OWNER", to
assign the root folder.

Regards,

Márcio Bacci