[Samba] Upgrading from old 4.1 sernet-samba AD to source release with AD

Neil nwilson123 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 11:59:25 UTC 2020

Hi Andrew,

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for the assistance. I'm starting to get
going on this this week.
Just to clarify a few things please...

You said...
"I would install by package or source Samba 4.5 onto one of the hosts,
pointing at the same paths, then join a modern Samba version to that
domain from another host.  That much should work."

When you say install it onto a host, you mean an existing 4.1 VM?

Also the paths do you mean specify /var/lib/samba ?

Will this not overwrite or change any of my data currently in this folder?
It currently looks as follows...

-rw-------   1 root root  421888 Aug 19  2014 account_policy.tdb
drwxr-xr-x   4 root root    4096 Aug 19  2014 data
drwxr-xr-x  11 root root    4096 Oct 13  2015 drivers
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root    4096 Oct 13  2015 netlogon
drwxr-x---   2 root ntp     4096 Jun  8 00:00 ntp_signd
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root    4096 Oct 13  2015 printing
drwxr-x---   6 root root    4096 Jun  8 13:55 private
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root    4096 Oct 13  2015 profiles
-rw-------   1 root root  528384 Aug 19  2014 registry.tdb
-rw-------   1 root root  421888 May  5 11:03 share_info.tdb
drwxrwx---+  3 root  544    4096 Mar  9  2017 sysvol
drwxr-x---   2 root root    4096 Jun  8 00:00 winbindd_privileged

All 5 of my DC's are all part of the same domain, so I'm confused how I can
choose to join this one with a modern Samba version.

Apologies for all the questions.

Thank you.

Regards.

Neil Wilson.