[Samba] net ads status stripped output

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jun 4 08:08:01 UTC 2020

On 04/06/2020 08:48, Markus Lindberg wrote:

>>> We are joining the computers to the AD since we are using 802.1x
>>> combined with RADIUS to place computers in a AD group that is tied to a
>>> RADIUS group. This allows us to place computers in different VLANs
>>> based on the RADIUS group. When we join the computer to the AD it gets
>>> created in a specific container, then we do _some_ changes to the
>>> computer object, placing it into a AD group for example.
>> What then, there must be users and groups involved (there is at least
>> one user, the computer), where do they come from ?
> I think the compter account is created when I join the computers. This
> is the command I run when I join the computer to the AD.
>
> net ads join -k createcomputer=Admin/Staging/Client-Lnx createupn="host/`hostname -f`@EXAMPLE.COM" osName='Linux Client' osVer="$(echo -n $(lsb_release -s -i -c))"
>
> After that has been finished I'm able to run `net ads status` by
> authenticating "as the computer", like so.
>
> net ads status -P
>
> --
> Markus

Ah, I think I understand what you are doing now, but I think you must be
running the command as root. If I run the command it just errors out
'ERROR: Unable to open secrets database', but if I run it using sudo, I
get a similar output as yours.

You are quite correct, '-P' means use the machine account and this is a
very unprivileged user.

Rowland