[Samba] Some clients cannot change their passwords when they expire.

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jun 3 16:12:45 UTC 2020

On 03/06/2020 16:42, Rommel Rodriguez Toirac via samba wrote:

>   How can I configure XP to use NTMLv2? Any special suggestion for this?

Try reading this:

https://itconnect.uw.edu/wares/msinf/other-help/lmcompatibilitylevel/ntlmv1-removal-known-problems-and-workarounds/

>   I still have workstations that are old enough no to support even Windows 7
The only version of Windows still supported is Windows 10.

>   About upgrading from version 4.11.4 to version 4.12.3, will I have problems with that smb.conf and with the ./configure used?
> Will Windows XP be a problem even when  I switch to NTMLv2?

We are actively trying to remove SMBv1 from Samba, so it will be pretty
much required that SMBv2/3 is used in future. From Samba 4.11.0, Samba
uses SMBv2 as a minimum, but the SMBv1 code is still there, but we do
not recommend using it.

Using XP with NTLMv2 will still be a problem, but not from the Samba
point of view. Using any unsupported OS is a bad idea, mainly because it
will not get any security updates and hence will be more vulnerable than
a supported OS.

Rowland