[Samba] Samba vs Windows - File sharing in a domain setting

Viktor Trojanovic viktor at troja.ch
Tue Jun 2 16:24:52 UTC 2020

Hi Louis,

The idea I had with this thread is to just get an honest comparison
between Windows and Samba when it comes to file sharing needs in the
Windows world, the missing Windows Search capability was just an example
to get the discussion going.

If I understand your reference correctly, there is a solution,
compatible with Apple's Spotlight, to index files on a Samba server
using Elasticsearch and fscrawler. This is very interesting and
certainly great news for Apple users but nothing comparable is available
for Windows users wanting or, in my case, having to work with the
Windows Search service.