[Samba] SAMBA using existing users and passwords on Linux

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jun 2 15:06:23 UTC 2020

On 02/06/2020 15:47, Fernando Gonçalves via samba wrote:
> This is very problematic for me!
> In this LINUX VM I have registered more than 40 users for over 10 years.
> I wouldn't even bother having to register everyone on SAMBA, the question
> is the passwords of these users.

As Andrew has said, using 'encrypt password = no' isn't a good idea,
what he didn't say was that it had been deprecated at 4.11.0 and could
be removed at 4.13.0. This means that you need to find another way of
doing things before this happens. It might be a good idea to post your
present smb.conf, we should then be able to point you in the best
direction to go.

Rowland