[Samba] Extended attributes not working on mac

Martin Steiner / 3MF GmbH martin.steiner at 3mf-media.de
Tue Jun 2 12:20:11 UTC 2020

I did a fresh install of ubuntu right now and changed the configuration as you proposed,
now there it’s showing the tag for about one second but it’s disappearing afterwards.

The attr binary shows the following output (seems to be written again in the extended attributes,
but finder can’t read it):

attr -l rwar
Attribute "DOSATTRIB" has a 32 byte value for rwar
Attribute "DosStream.AFP_AfpInfo:$DATA" has a 61 byte value for rwar
Attribute "DosStream.com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags:$DATA" has a 52 byte value for rwar

attr -g 'DosStream.com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags:$DATA' rwar
Attribute "DosStream.com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags:$DATA" had a 52 byte value for rwar:
bplist00�VGelb
5

If i use xattr on my mac it shows no errors in the log but also no data. It saves comments without any
problems but not the colored tags.

Martin