[Samba] NTP and FreeBSD jails

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Thu Jul 30 21:00:16 UTC 2020

FreeBSD-12.1p7
Samab-4.10.15 running in FreeBSD Jail

I just wish to ensure that my conclusion respecting Samba, FreeBSD Jails, and
NTP is correct.

1.  Unless configured otherwise Windows domain clients will query and obtain
their time from the samba_server DC.

2.  Samba_server obtains its time from the OS, in this case a FreeBSD Jail.

3.  FreeBSD Jails get their time from their host.

4.  If the host is running ntpd then this has the same effect as if ntpd was
running alongside the samba_server.

Is this reasoning correct?

   Unencrypted messages have no legal claim to privacy

Canada  L8E 3C3