[Samba] New script to setup your samba folder structure on a domain Member.

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Jul 29 10:24:32 UTC 2020

Hai Guys,

It's been a bit quite on my side, pretty busy..

I've created a new script that will help with setting up a new samba server and its shared.
It preconfigures, wel,  "almost" everything for you..  ;-)

Tested on Debian Buster with Samba 4.12.5 and AD backend.

You can find it here.
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thctlo/samba4/master/samba-setup-share-folders.sh

A few pointers you need to take care of.

1) its only tested (for now) on AD-Backend Members.
   if you have a RID setup and you used this, please tell me your results.

2) The group "Domain User", its obligated to assign a GID number before you run the script.

3) well, run it, all defaults are tested.

Now, what it does,  based on the "samba_base" folder you can configure in the script and i used the default /srv/samba
So as long you own setup does not use that exact path, you can run this without any harm.
I will create the folders and setup the rights, and it creates a file you can include in smb.conf.
Your (if running) config wont be touched.

It creates a folder structure as shown, with the correct POSIX rights to start with.

/srv/samba
/srv/samba/companydata
/srv/samba/users
/srv/samba/profiles
/srv/samba/public

And after created it sets the correct SDDL (WINDOWS) rights on the folders.
Resulting, you see correct windows rights, the script explains all.

Enjoy.

Errors, fixed, new additions, suggestion and offcourse typo's.
Mail me or correct them on github.

Greetz,

Louis