[Samba] samba4 kerberized nfs4 with sssd ad client

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Jul 24 16:11:50 UTC 2020

On 24/07/2020 16:56, Robert Marcano via samba wrote:
> On 7/24/20 11:49 AM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:

>>> And the original mail said SSSD on client not on server, even the
>>> Subjects says it, It is just like someona asking problems using
>>> Samba Ad Kerberos problems from a Mac, the client on a Mac isn't
>>> even based on Samba. Web SSSDers should probably create a mailing
>>> list named "SSSD on Samba AD clients" :-P. If anyone comes an ask
>>> about winbind on clients, will get a lecture, again :-P
>>>

>> I replied:
>>
>> Sorry Jason, wrong mailing list, we do not produce sssd, so cannot
>> support it, because we know very little about it. I suggest you try
>> the sssd-users mailing list.
>>
>> If you want to use Samba instead, I am more than willing to help you
>> with this, it is very easy and there is the bonus of being able to
>> share files.
>>

>> Just where is the lecture in that ?
>
> Nothing in that, but it are the later responses with: change OS, don't
> use software that requires an OS, etc, etc, no one says that to people
> asking with problems with a Mac o Windows clients here.
>
> I will end my participation in this thread because as I didn't
> intended it will extend more.

Well, it is nigh on impossible to change the OS on MAC computers, but if
you are having problems with your OS, then it is wise to consider using
a different OS, but no one is going to force anyone to do this.

If anyone wishes to use sssd, then that is their prerogative and I am
not going to attempt to stop them, I just cannot try to support sssd,
mainly because my knowledge of it is about 6 years out of date.

If any one wants to use RHEL/Centos, then again, that is their decision,
but I am sure they would get a similar response if they asked questions
about it on a Debian mailing, 'go and ask on red-hat mailing list'. It
is known as 'horses for courses', where I come from.

Rowland