[Samba] samba4 kerberized nfs4 with sssd ad client

Jason Keltz jas at eecs.yorku.ca
Fri Jul 24 15:03:39 UTC 2020

On 7/24/2020 10:53 AM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:

> On 24/07/2020 15:45, Jason Keltz via samba wrote:

>>> Hi Jason,
>>>
>>> I have got a few CentOS servers as Samba AD members. I found out
>>> that upgrading them to CentOS 8 isn't worth the hazzle, a completely
>>> different paradigm, and lots of migration issues to solve. As you
>>> have got lots of machines, it could probably pay off to create your
>>> own solution, but in your place, I would get nervous that every new
>>> update would break something.
>>>
>>> I'm going to migrate my few servers to Debian Buster instead. It
>>> seems to be a much less painful way. Up until recently, I have
>>> exclusively used CentOS, but I have found Debian very capable, and
>>> not very different to work with, compared to CentOS 7. The update
>>> policy is also fairly conservative.
>>>
>>> Just my five cents...
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Peter
>>

>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> Our client systems need to continue to run CentOS because a variety
>> of software that we use requires CentOS/RHEL.  Some of the software
>> is very version specific.  I can't even upgrade to CentOS 8 until
>> certain software is compatible with 8.  Running a separate Linux
>> distribution on the servers and the clients is possible, of course,
>> but in a small team, just a headache to handle multiple OS paths.
>> If we were a bigger team, this is definately something I would
>> consider though.
>>
>> Jason.
>>

> Rule one: Never run software that is tied to a specific OS, you get
> trapped, as you have found. If some entity tries selling you software
> that requires a specific OS (and worse a specific version), tell them
> to **** off.
>
> Just what are these 'softwares' that require Centos ?
>
> Rowland

HI Rowland,

If only we had that choice our lives would be so much easier! In the
education world, we are told the software  that needs to run and we need
to provide the environment that will suitably run it. :)   At the
moment, the software that comes to mind on first thought is engineering
software like Cadence (which plans to support RHEL8 soon), Synopsys
(which may support it), and COMSOL, but this is just at first thought.
We support hundreds of packages.

Jason.