[Samba] samba4 kerberized nfs4 with sssd ad client

Jason Keltz jas at eecs.yorku.ca
Fri Jul 24 14:45:07 UTC 2020

On 7/24/2020 7:25 AM, Peter Milesson via samba wrote:

> On 2020-07-24 12:57, Jason Keltz via samba wrote:
>> Hi Rowland,
>>
>> In effect, I'm still using Samba on the DC, which is why I still
>> thought this was relevant on the mailing list. :)
>>
>> The reason in particular that I was looking at sssd client as opposed
>> to winbind was that  we are running CentOS 7. I know if I want to use
>> the latest Samba 4.12 on the clients, I'll have problems with gnutls
>> because it's outdated in CentOS 7.  Yes, someone has figured out a
>> way around that by compiling a separate gnutls, but I'm just not 100%
>> comfortable with that. It's still an option.  The problem is that if
>> I spend my days figuring out how to upgrade hundreds of custom CentOS
>> machines from 7 to 8 (which I will no doubt eventually do) then I
>> won't have time to figure out integration of this domain into AD. If
>> I start with AD then I can't really use the latest  4.12. maybe
>> that's fine because eventually we will move to CentOS 8. However,
>> what if a later Samba version requires  an even later version of
>> gnutls that CentOS 8 doesn't run with in the future!  Then I'll again
>> be stuck in this position and may have to upgrade the OS clients to
>> use the later Samba.  There's al
>>   ways going to be this chicken and egg problem of course. That's
>> just the environment we work in. That's why I was hoping that if I
>> used SSSD then I could somewhat punt the problem . As long as the
>> main DC was running the latest OS and could run the latest Samba then
>> the clients could use their SSSD to connect. In addition, the SSSD
>> configuration for AD is so trivial.  The winbind configuration, I
>> have tested and it works but it's definately more complex. I have to
>> see whether it handles token groups because the SSSD configuration
>> without token groups was very slow using SSSD because of the number
>> of groups.  I'm not fixed at using sssd but just thinking about all
>> the options. There are always many ways to solve the same problem. :)
>>
>> Jason.
>>
>> On Jul. 24, 2020, 2:22 a.m., at 2:22 a.m., Rowland penny via samba
>> <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

>>> Sorry Jason, wrong mailing list, we do not produce sssd, so cannot
>>> support it, because we know very little about it. I suggest you try the
>>>
>>> sssd-users mailing list.
>>>
>>> If you want to use Samba instead, I am more than willing to help you
>>> with this, it is very easy and there is the bonus of being able to
>>> share
>>> files.
>>>
>>> Rowland
>>>

>>> --
> Hi Jason,
>
> I have got a few CentOS servers as Samba AD members. I found out that
> upgrading them to CentOS 8 isn't worth the hazzle, a completely
> different paradigm, and lots of migration issues to solve. As you have
> got lots of machines, it could probably pay off to create your own
> solution, but in your place, I would get nervous that every new update
> [...]

Hi Peter,

Our client systems need to continue to run CentOS because a variety of
software that we use requires CentOS/RHEL.  Some of the software is very
version specific.  I can't even upgrade to CentOS 8 until certain
software is compatible with 8.  Running a separate Linux distribution on
the servers and the clients is possible, of course, but in a small team,
just a headache to handle multiple OS paths.   If we were a bigger team,
this is definately something I would consider though.

Jason.