[Samba] using samba-tool from a domain member other than the DC

Jason Keltz jas at eecs.yorku.ca
Fri Jul 24 00:01:25 UTC 2020

Hi Rowland,

Speaking of senior moment. I just figured out the problem...

My DC host has its regular name - dc01.example.com and then its AD name
dc01.ad.example.com.  Even though both resolve to the same IP, I was
using dc01.example.com which is apparently a no no because Kerberos is
particular about name.  If I use dc01.ad.example.com it actually
works!!!!!!!!!!  Using either dc01.example.com or using the IP address
both do not work.

And just to prove that this has nothing whatsoever to do with smb.conf,
I moved it out of the way completely, and it now works as well!!

Thanks a lot! I've spent *hours* looking at this.  I think I have a few
extra gray hairs.

Jason.