[Samba] using samba-tool from a domain member other than the DC

Jason Keltz jas at eecs.yorku.ca
Thu Jul 23 17:42:19 UTC 2020

Hi.

I left off from my original question...

I've joined the domain using "realm join", and am not using winbind.

I'm looking for the minimal configuration I need to have in smb.conf to
be able to run samba-tool from a domain member.

My /etc/krb5.conf contains:

[libdefaults]

default_realm = <my realm>

dns_lookup_realm = false

dns_lookup_kdc = true

My /etc/smb.conf contains minimal:

[global]

workgroup=<my workgroup>

security=ADS

realm=<my realm>

Have I missed providing some detail?

Do I need to be running smbd to be able to use samba-tool from a domain
member?

Is nobody else using samba-tool from outside their DC that might be able
to suggest why this doesn't work?

Thanks,

Jason.

--