[Samba] Authentication with trusted credentials

Yakov Revyakin yrevyakin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 09:44:31 UTC 2020

Currently I have the following empirical knowledge about outgoing trust:
- In case of creating this type of trust using direction=both we get
outgoing trust working partially - it is possible to login to Windows
member of trusting domain with trusted credentials as well as access shares
on trusted side further. It is impossible to make the same login on Linux
members.
- In case of making the same trust on both sides separately it is
impossible to login to both Windows and Linux clients. So outgoing
trust doesn't work in this case.

Two-ways trust works.

Also I found the following
man idmap_ad
"Currently, the ad backend does not work as the default idmap backend, but
one has to configure it separately for each domain for which one wants to
use it, using disjoint ranges. One usually needs to configure a writeable
default idmap range, using for example the tdb or ldap backend, in order to
be able to map the BUILTIN sids and *possibly other trusted domains*.
In case of two-ways trust"

>From this I understand that we can manage trusted accounts via default
mapping only and the mapping regarding support of trusted domain was made
correctly.

What do you think about what I said above?
Can we believe that outgoing trust works in the case of Windows clients?
What is the actual status for outgoing trust support?

PS: I sent the same questions to Stephan with hope to get answers