[Samba] Authentication with trusted credentials

Yakov Revyakin yrevyakin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 18:37:52 UTC 2020

So,
Point #1:
Samba DC before trust. Linux member joined domain. SSH authentication works
for a domain user. Checked with ad and rid backends. getent / id returns
correct UID:GID.

Point #2:
Samba DC after making trust with external AD. With the same Linux PC SSH
authentication and session still works with the trusting domain user in the
same right manner.
Trusted authentication works but it is routed according to the default
backend. SSH session is created.

# trusting user - authentication successful

Kerberos: TGS-REQ test01 at SVITLA3.ROOM from ipv4:10.0.0.12:50510 for
UC-SM18$@SVITLA3.ROOM
Kerberos: TGS-REQ authtime: 2020-07-17T16:47:35 starttime:
2020-07-17T16:47:35 endtime: 2020-07-18T02:47:35 renew till: unset

# trusted user - cross-realm authentication successful

Kerberos: TGS-REQ jake at APEX.CORP from ipv4:10.0.0.12:52437 for
UC-SM18$@SVITLA3.ROOM
Kerberos: Client not found in database: no such entry found in hdb
Kerberos: cross-realm APEX.CORP -> SVITLA3.ROOM

Kerberos: TGS-REQ authtime: 2020-07-17T18:07:28 starttime:
2020-07-17T18:07:28 endtime: 2020-07-18T04:07:28 renew till: unset

# uid|gid according with backend range
d at uc-sm18:~$ id test01 at SVITLA3
uid=20000(SVITLA3\test01) gid=20000(SVITLA3\domain users)
groups=20000(SVITLA3\domain users),3001(BUILTIN\users)
d at uc-sm18:~$ getent passwd test01 at SVITLA3.ROOM
SVITLA3\test01:*:20000:20000:test01:/home/SVITLA3/test01:/bin/bash

# uid|gid according to the default backend!!!
d at uc-sm18:~$ id APEX\\jake
uid=3000(APEX\jake) gid=3004(APEX\domain users) groups=3004(APEX\domain
users)
d at uc-sm18:~$ getent passwd  APEX\\jake
APEX\jake:*:3000:3004:jake:/home/APEX/jake:/bin/bash

# Linux client - smb.conf extraction
  idmap config * : backend = tdb
  idmap config * : range = 3000-7999

   idmap config SVITLA3:backend = rid
  idmap config SVITLA3:range = 20000-29999

   idmap config APEX:backend = rid
  idmap config APEX:range = 10000-19999

  template shell = /bin/bash

If I set APEX:backend = ad I get ssh authentication failed with Permission
Denied error. Probably authentication process can't extract uid|gid and
failed. In case of rid there are no such strong restrictions I think.

By the way, enabling/disabling of GSSAPI and UseDNS properties in
sshd_config don't influence behaviour.

What do you think about the correctness of trusted authentication setup? It
would be nice if there is a way to control uid|gid for trusted accounts. We
can see that we can exclude backend definition for trusted accounts and it
will still work. It looks like what I am looking for but what about
incorrect uid|gid?

Could you advise me what is the simplest way to check access to a file
share under trusted domain control with this Linux and trusted credentials?