[Samba] Ubuntu 18.04 classicupgrade help

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Jul 17 16:42:42 UTC 2020

On 17/07/2020 17:20, Carl Hunter via samba wrote:
>   On Friday, July 17, 2020, 11:36:18 a.m. EDT, Rowland penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>

>   On 17/07/2020 15:21, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
>> On 17/07/2020 15:05, Carl Hunter via samba wrote:
>>>    On Thursday, July 16, 2020, 07:34:26 a.m. EDT, Carl Hunter via
>>> samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>>>         On Thursday, July 16, 2020, 03:30:36 a.m. EDT, Rowland penny
>>> via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

>>> If you compile Samba yourself, by default, everything ends up in
>>> /usr/local/samba. Distros split things up, so you just need to find the
>>> files on your system ;-)
>>>
>>> Rowland
>>>
>>> So I found the gencache_notrans.tdb file only in /run/samba and the
>>> other two were only in /var/lib/samba.PDC.  Are these all good to use
>>> since they're the only ones I could find?  And do I need to rename
>>> the /run/samba folder like I did with the /var/lib/samba folder?
>>> Thanks
>>> Carl
>>>
>>> I finally had the chance to run the command and got the following
>>> output.
>>> sudo samba-tool domain classicupgrade
>>> --dbdir=/var/lib/samba.PDC/dbdir/ --realm=OSCLAN.OCSCHOOL.ORG
>>> --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ /etc/samba/smb.PDC.conf
>>> Reading smb.conf
>>> Provisioningtdbsam_open: Failed to open/create TDB passwd
>>> [/var/lib/samba/passdb.tdb]tdbsam_getsampwnam: failed to open
>>> /var/lib/samba/passdb.tdb!Exporting account policyExporting
>>> groupstdbsam_open: Failed to open/create TDB passwd
>>> [/var/lib/samba/passdb.tdb]tdbsam_getsampwnam: failed to open
>>> /var/lib/samba/passdb.tdb!
>>> dbsam_open: Failed to open/create TDB passwd [/var/lib/samba/passdb.tdb]
>>> tdbsam_getsampwrid: failed to open
>>> /var/lib/samba/passdb.tdb!Exporting userstdbsam_open: Failed to
>>> open/create TDB passwd [/var/lib/samba/passdb.tdb]tdbsam_getsampwnam:
>>> failed to open /var/lib/samba/passdb.tdb!ERROR(<class
>>> 'passdb.error'>): uncaught exception - Unable to search users  File
>>> "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py", line
>>> 176, in                                      _run    return
>>> self.run(*args, **kwargs)  File
>>> "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/domain.py", line 1589,
>>> in                                  run    useeadb=eadb,
>>> dns_backend=dns_backend, use_ntvfs=use_ntvfs)  File
>>> "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/upgrade.py", line 554, in
>>> upgrade                                   _from_samba3    userlist =
>>> s3db.search_users(0)
>>> I removed a bunch of duplicate log lines just to make it shorter.
>>> Any ideas?  It's like the tool knows something is supposed to be in
>>> /var/lib/samba on Ubuntu.  I moved the /var/lib/samba folder to
>>> /var/lib/samba.PCD before I ran the command like the wiki said.
>>> Thanks
>>> Carl
>> Keep this quite, but I have never classicupgraded an NT4-style domain,
>> but I think I know what is going wrong here. That 'mv' should be a
>> 'cp', the upgrade is trying to create files in /var/lib/samba and it
>> no longer exists.
>>
>> Rowland
> OK, after digging into the history of the classicupgrade wiki page, I
> have found that at one time, it was  thought that the upgrade would be
> carried out on a new PC, so the required files would be copied to the
> new PC with 'scp'. The page now is built around upgrading in place and
> 'mv' is definitely wrong.
>
> Looks like I am going to have to do a classicupgrade, before I can
> rewrite the page.
>
> Rowland
>
> I don't mind being the guinea pig if it helps.  :)

Too late, I was the guinea pig ;-)

I will be updating the wiki tomorrow.

> I was able to duplicate the /var/lib/samba folder and re-run the command and it worked.  I got basically the same output as the wiki.
> My next question is in the "After the classicupgrade" section.  With the following line.
> If your passdb backend was smbpasswd or tdbsam, remove the domain groups from /etc/group. All groups that had a groupmapping were imported, including their members. You should also remove any Samba users from /etc/passwd, they are now stored in AD.
>
> Is there a way to know what are considered domain groups in the /etc/group file?  Same question for /etc/passwd.  Is there a way to know what ones are Samba users?
> Thanks
> Carl

Run 'wbinfo -u' & 'wbinfo -g', these are the domain users & groups on my
nice new shiny classicupgraded domain:

wbinfo -u
EXAMPLE\administrator
EXAMPLE\guest
EXAMPLE\krbtgt

wbinfo -g
EXAMPLE\cert publishers
EXAMPLE\ras and ias servers
EXAMPLE\allowed rodc password replication group
EXAMPLE\denied rodc password replication group
EXAMPLE\dnsadmins
EXAMPLE\enterprise read-only domain controllers
EXAMPLE\domain admins
EXAMPLE\domain users
EXAMPLE\domain guests
EXAMPLE\domain computers
EXAMPLE\domain controllers
EXAMPLE\schema admins
EXAMPLE\enterprise admins
EXAMPLE\group policy creator owners
EXAMPLE\read-only domain controllers
EXAMPLE\dnsupdateproxy

Your DOMAIN will be different, but if any of those are in /etc/passwd or
/etc/group, then they should be remove from there. You should also check
if any other users or groups shown by 'wbinfo -u ' or 'wbinfo -g' are in
/etc/passwd or /etc/group, most of these should be removed from
/etc/passwd or /etc/group, but a few may need to be removed from AD,
basically any that are in AD and have a Unix ID of 999 should be removed
from AD.

Rowland