[Samba] helping to implement samba 4 AD with ldap backend

jmpatagonia jmpatagonia at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 19:19:49 UTC 2020

Hello Rowland the problem is more complex, because we have 13
software/services/api linked to ldap repository on a production
environment, we try to use one single user/password for everything, and it
works.

We update samba 2 or 3 years ago, but we found that samba 4 -ad is that
moment is using a bult-in ldap, so we discard this option, because using
this ldap implied same that as now reconfigure all 13 software, import
schemas, adapt backups process, monitoring process, change ips, etc. So we
discard this option because it is a lot of work, and we think is not
compensates change everything just for samba. So in that memento use just
the last samba 4 available.

We have ad hoc classes, properties, on ldap in addition to samba/zentyal
schemas.

So in this case we are thinking of installing a new fresh samba 4-ad,
importing all existing users/computers/passwords, redeveloping our
interface to update users/passwd on both repositories.

We don't understand why samba decides to use a builtin ldap and discard
external ldap, is very annoying because in productions and largest
environments need a lot off work and implies maintenance other ldap.

Regards.