[Samba] Samba + Winbind : Kerberos Tickets

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Jul 15 13:22:55 UTC 2020

You most probely missing in smb.conf

    kerberos method = secrets and keytab

    # renew the kerberos ticket
    winbind refresh tickets = yes

> Every day we find
> Samba/Winbind
> is no longer joined to the domain. Now, we're in a bit of a
> learning curve
> here, and automating everything with Terraform + Ansible. We
> have yet to
> produce a stable environment with respect to domain join,
> though the file
> systems themselves seem fine.

Ow and you know this :
https://www.kania-online.de/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/cluster-mit-ctdb.pdf

Its a good read for what you want, at least, i think it is.

> One challenge is the vast array of (frequently inconsistent
> or inaccurate)
> documentation on the topic of Samba, different ways to do the
> same things,
> etc. So part of our challenge is sifting through useful, or
> not so useful,
> information.
>
> We really need an accurate recipe for installing Samba, all its
> dependencies, including Winbind (or alternative), having this domain
> joined, and supporting Windows File History.

Well, im still working on that.
https://github.com/thctlo/samba4/tree/master/howtos
The current "debian stretch" is old, but mostly it still correct.
The "Debian Buster"  version is in the making at the moment (a member setup first. )

> Can anyone of the core Samba team members point our way through the
> "wilderness"? ;-) To either a very up to date, very accurate,
> bash script
> that has every step detailed, or a document that has been
> tested recently that works flawlessly?

Almost there, the member setup should be done this or next week.
;-)

> This would be very helpful.
>
> We're excited to see the prospect of a distributed Samba
> cluster working
> across several AWS regions, and initial testing has produced
> great results
> in terms of performance and recoverability. But it's this last mile of
> getting AD join stable and kerberos tickets automatically
> renewed, and not dropping domain join, working, that is causing us issue.

See above, that will fix it.

> And any detailed information (script ideally) on how to
> configure Windows  File History, would also be helpful.

Thats one point im also working on at the moment, and as far i know you need LVM for it.
But i leave this part to my college Rowland or other members of the Team.

> Thank you so much in advance, we really appreciate this.
>
> Kindly,
>
> --
>
> BOB BUCK

Greetz,