[Samba] DC disaster recovery

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Tue Jul 14 15:51:16 UTC 2020

Yeah, I could setup an extra XCP box - but at smaller setups, it really seems like overkill.
So, it sounds like restores of the VM work "fine."

How often do machine accounts reset their passwords?
[This is the one that is most likely to be problematic. Rejoining the domain means a new profile. And that's a big PITA on the client side.]

User password changes can simply be handled by the admin resetting them, or the like. Machine accounts? Not so straight-forward, at least not that I'm aware of - unless there's some way to "reset" the computer account password and sync with the workstation.

---
Offtopic: Louis re: XOA
BTW, There's a script that allows you to run XOA community, and keep the XOA install up to date. I can't justify "paid" XOA for any of my clients, except for perhaps one - and even then it's a big stretch. XOA community is a great alternative for those smaller cases. (And I use very few of XOA's features - other than backup and keeping XCP up to date.

-Greg

LPHvBvs> If your runing XEN (XCP-NG), which im also using.

LPHvBvs> I use the automated snapshots, and this.
LPHvBvs> https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/xencenter/7-1/vms-snapshots-export.html

LPHvBvs> That should give an resonable backup.
LPHvBvs> XOA, yes thats looks nice also, i never used it.

LPHvBvs> If you have only 1 XEN server, i would just pickup an pc, or buy a second hand server
LPHvBvs> and install XEN and run a second DC Or just add a second DC somewhere,
LPHvBvs> save you in case of disaster recovery a lot of troubles.

LPHvBvs> You can add one a a cloud, but the dont forget to configure the GPO's and then
LPHvBvs> make sure you assign the server in lan for resolving and authenticion.
LPHvBvs> The cloud one is then only the backup DC.

LPHvBvs> Just an extra idea.

LPHvBvs> Greetz,

LPHvBvs> Louis