[Samba] net rpc rights grant fail to connect 127.0.0.1

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jul 13 19:53:43 UTC 2020

On 13/07/2020 20:31, Andrew Walker wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 2:04 PM Rowland penny via samba
> <samba at lists.samba.org <mailto:samba at lists.samba.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 13/07/2020 18:50, Andrew Walker wrote:
>     >
>     >
>     > On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 1:26 PM Rowland penny via samba
>     > <samba at lists.samba.org <mailto:samba at lists.samba.org>
>     <mailto:samba at lists.samba.org <mailto:samba at lists.samba.org>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     On 13/07/2020 18:18, Douglas G. Oechsler wrote:
>     >     >
>     >     > Hello!
>     >     >
>     >     > Ok! I switch the IP inside Member AD
>     >     > > 127.0.0.1 localhost
>     >     > *> 10.1.1.16 * E-PLANO.ad.mydomain.br
>     <http://E-PLANO.ad.mydomain.br>
>     >     <http://E-PLANO.ad.mydomain.br> <http://E-PLANO.ad.mydomain.br>
>     >     > e-plano
>     >     >
>     >     > Only to clarify
>     >     > 10.1.1.16 - AD Member - File server
>     >     > 10.1.1.21 - Only AD-DC
>     >     >
>     >     > But, sorry!
>     >     > Follow the wiki
>     >     >
>     >
>     https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_Share_Using_Windows_ACLs
>     >     >
>     >     > The command:
>     >     > # net rpc rights grant "SAMDOM\Unix Admins"
>     >     SeDiskOperatorPrivilege -U "SAMDOM\administrator"
>     >     > Enter SAMDOM\administrator's password:
>     >     >
>     >     > To grant rights, need to do it on the ad-dc side directly?
>     >     >
>     >     Did you miss the orange box containing:
>     >
>     >     You need to grant the |SeDiskOperatorPrivilege| privilege on the
>     >     Samba
>     >     server that holds the share.
>     >
>     >     Rowland
>     >
>     > For cases where I want to allow an AD group other than Domain
>     Admins
>     > to do this stuff (and not bother with "net rpc" commands), I
>     find it
>     > somewhat easier to find the SID of the group and then add it as a
>     > foreign group of BUILTIN\Administrators on the samba server with
>     the
>     > shares a-la "net groupmap addmem S-1-5-32-544 <sid of group>". This
>     > will make members of the group local admins with all the
>     benefits and
>     > dangers associated with it.
>
>     Problem is, if you are using the 'ad' backend, the group must be
>     known
>     to Unix i.e. it must have a gidNumber attribute, which is why you
>     cannot
>     use Domain Admins, if you use the 'rid' backend, none of this
>     matters ;-)

> [...]

The problem with Domain Admins is that it has to be able to 'own' things
in sysvol, to do this, it is mapped to 'ID_TYPE_BOTH' in idmap.ldb on
DC's. If you use the 'ad' backend on Unix domain members and give Domain
Admins a gidNumber attribute, this turns Domain Admins into just a group
and groups cannot own anything on Unix. My fix for this problem is to
create a group, add this group to Administrators (or Domain Admins) and
give this group a gidNumber. This allows Domain Admins to continue
owning things in sysvol and you use your new group on Unix wherever you
would normally use Domain Admins.

Rowland