[Samba] Problem with network browsing

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jul 13 13:11:00 UTC 2020

On 13/07/2020 13:54, Michael Jones wrote:

> However, the samba logs could have a note in nmbd saying "We detect
> that you have ADC security enabled, and min protocol of SMB2 / SMB3,
> as a result, network neighborhood most likely will not work due
> to.......".
No, Network Neighborhood will not work because SMBv1 is turned off and
this is well known, so no reason to clutter the logs any further ;-)

> Am I to understand that the servers should still be showing up in the
> network list, because of the AD DC's DNS ?
No, Network Browsing depends on SMBv1 and browsing is another way of
linking ipaddresses to hostnames, this has been superseded by dns in AD.
Windows now uses Network Discovery.

>     I would remove these lines from the DC:
>
>     server min protocol        = SMB3 # SMB2_02
>     client min protocol        = SMB3 # SMB2_02
>

> Could you elaborate?
Sorry, the parts after the '#' are the defaults, you do not need those lines

> This was necessary to get things working on my setup a few years ago,
> around Samba 4.4. Has something changed that makes this unneeded?
No, you never needed them

>     They either have no place on a DC, or actually stop your DC from
>     working
>     correctly.
>

> Then why is Samba not warning about these being problematic ?
The idea is that the user will read 'man smb.conf' before adding
anything to smb.conf, so that the logs don't get spammed.

Rowland