[Samba] Do I need to correct domain join?

Mike 1100100 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 22:28:49 UTC 2020

(A) CentOS 7 Samba Version 4.1.23-SerNet-RedHat-11.el7 AD DC

(B) CentOS 8 Samba Version 4.12.5 compiled from source configured as DC.

Following - https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Samba_DC_to_an_Existing_Active_Directory

Joining (B) to (A).

DNS works - no problem.
Kerberos - configured and verified.
chronyd - time server in sync

[root at b10]# samba-tool domain join samdom.example.com DC
-U"SAMDOM\administrator"
Success, no problems.
Joined domain SAMDOM (SID XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX) as a DC

Further down the wiki page, I see -
###############################
If you use the internal DNS server, you will not be asked for a
forwarder and the one in /etc/resolv.conf will not be obtained
automatically. You must supply one with --option="dns
forwarder=forwarder_ipaddress".

--site=SITE: Directly join the host as DC to a specific Active Directory Site.

--option="interfaces=lo eth0" --option="bind interfaces only=yes": If
your server has multiple network interfaces, use these options to bind
Samba to the specified interfaces. This enables the samba-tool command
to register the correct LAN IP address in the directory during the
join.

If the other DCs are Samba DCs and were provisioned with
--use-rfc2307, you Should add --option='idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes'
to the join command

I did not complete the domain join using those configuration options
and the AD DC definitely was provisioned with --use-rfc2307.

Do I need to un-join the domain and do it over; or, can I put these
options in my smb.conf and everything will work normally?

Thank you for your help.