[Samba] Azure Sync

Bernhard Dick bernhard at bdick.de
Fri Jul 10 17:17:01 UTC 2020

Hi,

Am 10.07.2020 um 18:26 schrieb Martin Hauptmann via samba:

> [...]
>>> Is the existing username scheme in Office 365 of
>>> lois.griffin at company.com compatible with Samba?
>> That is compatible, you can set/add an UPN-Domain accordingly, if your
>> AD sits in the company.com hierarchy (i.e. ad.company.com).
>

> OK, a colleague told me, that I should avoid @ in Samba usernames. They
> have a similar setup and he says the Azure-standard naming looking like
> an E-Mail address would lead to huge problems on Samba.
>
> Happy to hear it is not a problem.
oh i see there might be a misunderstanding here. I would not use an @
within the username, as @ usually separates the username and Domain part
/ UPN Suffix. But you can set company.com as the domain part for the
user, so for the user his login looks like user.name at company.com, but
would also work with NT-Style COMPANY\user.name .
For details this entry in the FAQ might be a good starting point:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Active_Directory_Naming_FAQ#My_User_Logins_Does_Not_Match_My_Email
Some (german) explanation can also be found here:
https://www.msxfaq.de/exchange/admin/upn.htm .

   Best regards
     Bernhard