[Samba] ntlm_auth how to get challenge and nt-response

Piviul piviul at riminilug.it
Wed Jul 8 13:47:44 UTC 2020

Hi all, I'm trying to use ntlm_auth as authenticator of the freeradius
mschap module. If I use ntlm_auth from command line with username and
password, authentication works. If I use the same credentials with
mschap on the logs I can see the challenge and nt-response and I can't
understand if authentication fails because challenge and response are
wrong or because ntlm_auth can't authenticate for a winbind/samba
configuration problem.

Finally the question: how can I get valid challenge and nt-response
strings to pass to ntlm_auth to see if ntlm auth works using challenge
and nt-response options?

Can you please tell me some trick to debug the problem?

Piviul