[Samba] Users, home directories and profiles

Enrico Morelli morelli at cerm.unifi.it
Wed Jul 8 08:57:02 UTC 2020

On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 09:13:37 +0100
Rowland penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 08/07/2020 08:06, Enrico Morelli wrote:
> > On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 13:03:50 +0100
> > Rowland penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >
> >> The problem from my point of view is, I cannot recreate the crash.
> >> My feelings are that the OP hasn't set up the share correctly, or
> >> hasn't mapped root to Administrator. I am testing using a share on
> >> a raspberrypi and even if I change the directory owner to 'pi', it
> >> does not crash Windows explorer.
> >>
> >> Rowland
> >>

> > I followed the Samba guide to setup everything but a lot of things
> > doesn't works for me.
> > Now I'm able to create the share and set permissions (using the
> > patch) but I'm unable to enter to the Windows client with new
> > users.
>
> Enrico, please do not think I am trying to get at you, perhaps I
> could have worded that better, but I just dashed off a reply.
>
> The problem is that I am not the one who has control  of your network
> and can only offer advice from a distance. As I said, I cannot get
> the latest Win10 to crash and Windows has admitted that this is their
> problem if it does crash.

For the moment as I wrote more times, the problem isn't the crash (that
I solved with the patch) but the impossibility to login in the Windows
client with new user created on Samba server.

> Can you please download this:
> https://github.com/thctlo/samba4/blob/master/samba-collect-debug-info.sh
>
> Run it on the Samba machine that you are trying to connect Windows to
> and the post the output, do not attach it to the post, this list
> strips attachments.
>
> Perhaps you have some small setting wrong :-(
>
> Rowland

This is the output of the script:

Collected config  --- 2020-07-08-10:53 -----------

Hostname: fiorgen7
DNS Domain: cerm.unifi.it
FQDN: fiorgen7.cerm.unifi.it
ipaddress: 150.217.146.76 2001:760:2c05:146:222:64ff:feb9:9a88

-----------

WARNING: kinit Administrator will fail and this needs to be fixed first.
unable to verify DNS kerberos._tcp SRV records

Server:		150.217.1.32
Address:	150.217.1.32#53

** server can't find _kerberos._tcp.cerm.unifi.it: NXDOMAIN

but if on the server I run:
# kinit administrator
Password for administrator at CERM.UNIFI.IT:
Warning: Your password will expire in 22 days on Thu 30 Jul 2020
12:30:01 PM CEST

# klist
Ticket cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_0
Default principal: administrator at CERM.UNIFI.IT

Valid starting       Expires              Service principal
07/08/2020 10:53:29  07/08/2020 20:53:29
krbtgt/CERM.UNIFI.IT at CERM.UNIFI.IT
	renew until 07/09/2020 10:53:23

  Enrico Morelli
  System Administrator | Programmer | Web Developer

  CERM - Polo Scientifico
  via Sacconi, 6 - 50019 Sesto Fiorentino (FI) - ITALY