[Samba] join to ads domain failed

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jul 7 07:58:29 UTC 2020

On 07/07/2020 08:06, Piviul via samba wrote:
> Hi all, I have a samba AD domain to test to; I don't administer it, I
> have only an administrator account. I can join without problem win PCs
> to the domain but I can't linux PCs. If I try to join it I get the error:
>> # net ads join -U administrator
>> Enter administrator's password:
>> Using short domain name -- CSATEST
>> Joined 'FREERADIUS-CT01' to dns domain 'ad.csatest.localcal'
>> DNS Update for freeradius-ct01.csatest.localcal failed:
>> ERROR_DNS_UPDATE_FAILED
>> DNS update failed: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
You have actually joined the domain, it was the dns update that failed,
this is usually because something else owns the dns records (dhcp ?) and
this can be ignored.

> Someone online suggest to add -S option but this is the result:
No need for that.

> I have followed this guide
> (https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Domain_Member)
> and this is the smb.conf of the PCs that's trying to join> # Global
> parameters

Please remove these lines:

     passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
     passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
     server role = standalone server
     unix password sync = Yes

They have no place in a Unix domain member smb.conf

Rowland