[Samba] Issues with FLOCK on NFS Share

Christopher Cox chriscox at endlessnow.com
Mon Jul 6 18:22:35 UTC 2020

On 7/6/20 1:09 PM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> On 06/07/2020 18:33, Christopher Cox via samba wrote:
>>
>> IMHO, these discussion are beneficial.  "compat" traces back to NIS (mostly),
>> so usually means a "combo" search of "+/-" style NIS or other allow/deny
>> sources in addition to /etc/passwd (group, etc.).
>>
>> This may muddy the waters a bit, but this what I wrote in our ansible module
>> that creates users.
>
> What you have written is all well and good, but you have forgotten AD, with
> Samba and RFC2307 attributes, you can get the same Unix ID's on all Linux
> machines, you just need to setup the OS and Samba correctly. There is no need
> for Unix users with the same name as AD users.
>
> Rowland

I understand where you're coming and tried to mention that mindset in what I
wrote.   You're assumption is that there is a "single controller", and for you
it's Samba with RFC2307 attributes, but a lot of what I said still applies to
that exact scenario.  Unless you're ready to take nsswitch.conf to only having
winbind (and search nothing else) and you're prepared to own the PAM stack.
True?  But I will tell you, that even with those extremes, the battle isn't
easily won.