[Samba] Multiprotocol File Sharing via NFSv4 and Samba

Peter Eriksson pen at lysator.liu.se
Fri Jul 3 11:20:10 UTC 2020

Yes, Samba on FreeBSD with ZFS is a good choice when it comes to ACL support. As is any of the Solaris-derivates like OmniOS+ZFS.
Windows ACLs map really well to NFSv4 ACLs via Samba (with a few smaller issues like Windows wanting ACLs to be sorted).

NFSv4 ACLs also work well on FreeBSD & Solaris/OmniOS. (OmniOS also has a built-in SMB server but it doesn’t support the latest SMB protocol versions so isn’t really useful in my view).

Linux as a server OS might get there eventually - Ubuntu now has ZFS, albeit the full ACL support is… “lacking” (read: not usable - it’s enforced by the filesystem, you just can't see or modify the ACLs from Linux). I think someone is working on it though (the plan was to implement an API compatible with the way Linux accesses NFSv4 ACLs from a client).

Where Linux is better is oplock support (and better inotify support - there is an emulation in FreeBSD but it’s not as efficient if you have directories with huge number of files). And that it supports NFSv4.2 (FreeBSD currently is at v4.1 but 4.2 is coming) and OmniOS is at v4.0).

I’m currently managing around 16 FreeBSD (and a couple older Solaris10 & OmniOS) based ZFS-based file servers providing SMBv3 (via Samba) and NFSv4 file (and SFTP) services for our university users, home directories, group shared folders etc.

We choose FreeBSD as our file server OS after evaluating the alternatives and it seemed to be the “best” compromise at the time (3 years ago) (and still is I think). (Our evaluation requirements: ZFS, NFSv4, SMBv3, Kerberos/AD, ACLs for clients (Windows, MacOS & Linux), being able to handle ~ 5000 clients).

- Peter