[Samba] Samba Shares based on NFS

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Jan 31 09:02:03 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 04:30:24PM +0100, Tobias Kirchhofer via samba wrote:
> > What NFS version are you using between client and server ?
>
> It is (was) the respective version of CentOS 8 (4.2. tried also ver=4.0)
>
> > Can you do without these VFS modules ? Do you need complete
> > MacOS fidelity for these clients ? If not, reduce this
> > module list.
> >
> > The ideal and simplest VFS objects list is a blank one.
>
> we decided to prepare an iSCSI-LUN on our Netapp for the storage which we
> will integrate directly as a block device in the VM of the fileserver. It
> seems that NFS makes more trouble then benefit which ist not related well to
> a potential value in our setup.
>
> We think about using ZFS as as the filesystem. A first test with our
> prototype which utilises ZFS with xattr=on and acltype=posixacl worked well.
> Do you have an idea which filesystem would be best for Samba fileserver with
> a bunch of macOS? ZFS is not mentioned here:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/File_System_Support

For MacOS as Ralph already said, using the fruit module
will work best - but it does *require* working and supported
xattr calls.

We locally test mostly on ext4 (and some Team members also
test on btrfs and xfs). However, FreeNAS uses Samba exclusively
on ZFS so I think we should be able to support you whatever
you chose. We do have a vfs_zfsacl module if you want to use
native ZFS acls (I think FreeNAS uses this).

Good luck and let us know how it goes !