[Samba] Samba Shares based on NFS

Tobias Kirchhofer collect at shift.agency
Thu Jan 30 15:30:24 UTC 2020

On 30 Jan 2020, at 2:41, Jeremy Allison via samba wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 10:04:35PM +0100, Tobias Kirchhofer via samba
> wrote:
>> Hi, this is my first time posting in this group. I hope you'll be
>> patient
>> with me :-)
>>
>> We prepare a next gen setup replacing Samba 3 with Samba 4. First
>> time with
>> a Domain Controller (DC1) and a joined Fileserver (FS1). We have
>> around 30
>> macOS, 5 Windows and a few Linux machines which are all going to be
>> integrated in the new DC.
>>
>> Our test setup is quite promising. We can join all types of clients
>> without
>> problems so far. Fun! But now we're faced with a problem that we
>> can't seem
>> to solve. The NFS based Samba shares are not stable. We can perfectly
>> connect as an AD user to the file server and start copying files, but
>> after
>> a short time Input/Output errors appear or Permission denied messages
>> arise.
>> This happens only on macOS machines.
>>     ea support = yes
>>     vfs objects = acl_xattr catia fruit streams_xattr full_audit
>
> MacOS fidelity using xattrs is probably your core issue.
>
> We expect working xattr support on the filesystem
> given these VFS objects.
>
> What NFS version are you using between client and server ?

It is (was) the respective version of CentOS 8 (4.2. tried also ver=4.0)

> Can you do without these VFS modules ? Do you need complete
> MacOS fidelity for these clients ? If not, reduce this
> module list.
>
> The ideal and simplest VFS objects list is a blank one.

we decided to prepare an iSCSI-LUN on our Netapp for the storage which
we will integrate directly as a block device in the VM of the
fileserver. It seems that NFS makes more trouble then benefit which ist
not related well to a potential value in our setup.

We think about using ZFS as as the filesystem. A first test with our
prototype which utilises ZFS with xattr=on and acltype=posixacl worked
well. Do you have an idea which filesystem would be best for Samba
fileserver with a bunch of macOS? ZFS is not mentioned here:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/File_System_Support

collect at shift.agency