[Samba] Samba Shares based on NFS

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Jan 30 01:41:44 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 10:04:35PM +0100, Tobias Kirchhofer via samba wrote:
> Hi, this is my first time posting in this group. I hope you'll be patient
> with me :-)
>
> We prepare a next gen setup replacing Samba 3 with Samba 4. First time with
> a Domain Controller (DC1) and a joined Fileserver (FS1). We have around 30
> macOS, 5 Windows and a few Linux machines which are all going to be
> integrated in the new DC.
>
> Our test setup is quite promising. We can join all types of clients without
> problems so far. Fun! But now we're faced with a problem that we can't seem
> to solve. The NFS based Samba shares are not stable. We can perfectly
> connect as an AD user to the file server and start copying files, but after
> a short time Input/Output errors appear or Permission denied messages arise.
> This happens only on macOS machines.
>     ea support = yes
>     vfs objects = acl_xattr catia fruit streams_xattr full_audit

MacOS fidelity using xattrs is probably your core issue.

We expect working xattr support on the filesystem
given these VFS objects.

What NFS version are you using between client and server ?

Can you do without these VFS modules ? Do you need complete
MacOS fidelity for these clients ? If not, reduce this
module list.

The ideal and simplest VFS objects list is a blank one.