[Samba] Failover DC did not work when Main DC failed

Kris Lou klou at themusiclink.net
Wed Jan 29 18:03:37 UTC 2020

My understanding is that Windows clients periodically hold elections to
verify and select their closest DC.  However, I'm not 100% sure how often
it holds these elections, or what the DC response timeout is before holding
new elections.

A nice summary is here:
https://serverfault.com/questions/486518/how-does-a-client-system-in-an-active-directory-network-find-in-which-site-it-re

However, I'm not sure about winbind.  In my case, I've observed a member
server (older QNAP running Debian+Louis) ignore sites and reach across a
VPN to a remote DC.  It might be purely DNS?

Kris Lou
klou at themusiclink.net