[Samba] Connecting to samba server from android TV Box

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Jan 29 04:44:58 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 09:00:13PM -0500, Alex wrote:
> Hi,

> > > Yes, that's exactly what I needed to know, thanks.
> >
> > FYI. I'm using the in-kernel SMB2 client with
> > an automount setup via ssh-ing into the Vero box.
>
> I've learned that it's only available from overseas. I'm okay with
> that, but it makes returning it much more difficult should something
> go wrong.
>
> Do you mean to say it doesn't support SMB shares natively, and must be
> set up using ssh/automount?

No it does support them natively, but it uses libsmbclient
in userspace. You can get better performance by ssh-ing
into the box and setting up automount using the Linux-kernel
SMB2+ client code that Steve supports (he hangs out on this
list also :-).

> That's also not a problem (being a Linux admin), but just not what I
> was expecting.
>
> > > Thanks so much for your help.
> >
> > Well I'd still love to get the NinkBox working
> > for you - but without access to any client logs
> > it's going to be hard.
>
> I returned it, and in the interim purchased a different one to try and
> apparently doesn't support any kind of network file sharing, so I'm
> returning this one now too. The docs and support really suck for these
> things.
>
> I'd love to find a US distributor for the Vero device. Maybe there are
> others that run OSMC and support file sharing?

Order internationally. I'm based in the USA and they turn up within
a week to 10 days and the support is really good.