[Samba] Mac Time Machine backups

torch casatech19 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 14:18:15 UTC 2020

Phil,

A few months ago I bought a QNAP NAS and have had no issues doing TM backups for two Macs over Samba.  QNAP gives a good tutorial  how to do set it up https://www.qnap.com/en-us/how-to/tutorial/article/using-time-machine-to-back-up-your-mac-to-a-qnap-nas-via-smb <https://www.qnap.com/en-us/how-to/tutorial/article/using-time-machine-to-back-up-your-mac-to-a-qnap-nas-via-smb> .  The key was creating the TM folder, mounting it from Finder, then choosing that disk in TM preferences.  I have IPV6 disabled in my local lan so I can’t speak to any potential issues there.

Todd