[Samba] Samba AD-DC in the cloud

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jan 27 16:18:26 UTC 2020

On 27/01/2020 16:02, Stephen Atkins via samba wrote:
> I got some spam the other day advertising AWS hosting a Windows AD
> controller.  Got me thinking that there are cheaper routes to do this.
> There are a lot of hosting services where one could put a Samba AD-DC on a
> server in the "cloud".  I probably wouldn't do this as it could become a
> security nightmare.  What are others thoughts?
>
> Sorry if this doesn't belong here.  Just thought the expertise in this
> group would be a good place to start.
>
> Stephen

Personally and must stress this is personally, I have never understood
the 'cloud' thing. When I was growing up, clouds were those white fluffy
things floating in the sky, which occasionally (OK, most of the time
where I live) went dark and dumped water.

Why not be honest, the 'cloud' is actually a server farm, somewhere else
on the planet, over which you have little or no control. I would only
use the 'cloud' for backup purposes, that way, you keep total control of
your computers and data, but have off site backups.

Rowland