[Samba] Group, idmap, unix_primary_group ...

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jan 27 12:13:25 UTC 2020

On 27/01/2020 11:50, Marco Gaiarin via samba wrote:
> Mandi! Rowland penny via samba
>    In chel di` si favelave...
>
>> No, that is the users private group
> No, Rowland:
>
> 	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passwd
> 	http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man5/passwd.5.html
>
> it is called 'primary group', only 'recently' (10/15 years?) distro
> start to create 'private group' as 'default primary group'.
When I started using Linux (which was shortly after a certain person
sent out a message that mentioned Minix and said his version would never
get large), it was 'user private group' and just because people started
calling it 'primary group' doesn't make it so. However, if you want to
call it 'primary group', who am I to stop you ?

Rowland