[Samba] Mac Time Machine backups

Phil Endecott spam_from_samba at chezphil.org
Fri Jan 24 15:54:16 UTC 2020

Dear Experts,

I'm attempting to use Samba on a small NAS box as a target
for my Mac's Time Machine backups.  There doesn't seem to
be anything specific about this on the Wiki or other docs
- if I've missed something, please tell me.  I have found
various web pages with recipes including this one:

https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/83vkaz/howto_make_time_machine_backups_on_a_samba/

I'm now using a config based on that, and it seems to be
basically functional (though I've not actually tried to
restore anything from the backups yet!).  But I'd like to
understand what all of that configuration is doing and
tweak as necessary.  If you like, I'll add a Wiki page.

I'm using the Debian package of Samba 4.9.5 on an ODROID-HC1.
My Mac is running macOS 10.14.

At first I found that the initial backup would fail after
ten minutes or so.  It became reliable after I disabled IPv6
on the NAS and rebooted the Mac (and probably tweaked a few
other things).  I note there have been some other posts here
about Macs disconnecting so this could be connected.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Phil.