[Samba] Administrator lost write privileges to sysvol (Can't add/edit anything using RSAT Tools)

Darren Conte darren.conte at volereservices.com
Thu Jan 23 14:36:53 UTC 2020

>I only half expected it would be ;-)
>
>Try running 'samba-tool dbcheck' on the DC, does it show any errors ?
>
>Rowland

No - errors. see below.

root at server:/# samba-tool dbcheck
Checking 241 objects
Checked 241 objects (0 errors)

As part of my previous troubleshooting steps when this first happened, I
had re-applied 4.11.4 with the following commands:

./configure --enable-debug --enable-selftest
make
make install
samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs --fix
samba-tool dbcheck --reset-well-known-acls --fix

root at server:~# samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs --fix
Checking 3472 objects
Checked 3472 objects (0 errors)

samba-tool dbcheck --reset-well-known-acls --fix
Checking 241 objects
Checked 241 objects (0 errors)

Even after doing so, I still couldn't get write access to ADUC and GPO or
re-apply to all child objects the permissions in sysvol in Computer
Management, thinking it was a permissions issue or a db issue not
recognizing that Administrator is in the groups that are default and
required.

Are there log files that I can check from that date I removed the group
membership from the user's 'members of' attribute?

Perplexed how Administrator lost the ability to write.

Thanks again,
Darren