[Samba] read only mount on Mac OS Catalina

Paul Hartley phartley at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 06:40:20 UTC 2020

I have a simple samba 4.10 server on FreeBSD that I can mount using MacOS
Catalina 10.15.2 using either the Finder connect to server option or via
mount_smbfs.  I can browse directories and see files already present on the
server but when I try to write a file on Mac OS Catalina (just doing a
simple "touch filename"), I get the message "Read-only file system".  When
I look at finder info for the mounted path where I want to write a file, my
username has read & write access.  The same username is used for user
permissions on the server.  I have spent a fair amount of time trying a
variety of remedies based on what I discover from searching online but I'm
getting nowhere.  Would anyone have insight on why I'm getting a read-only
filesystem when successfully mounting my smb share, seeing files but not
being able to write?

My smb4.conf (with anonymized user and path values for this email) is as
follows.  The path attribute is owned by root:wheel at /home and the user
path within (/home/user) is owned by root:user.  /home/user also is set to
2770.

[global]
log file = /var/log/samba/%m
max log size = 1000