[Samba] Change of DC name

Mario Codeniera mario.codeniera at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 02:57:04 UTC 2020

Hi,

Is it possible to change a DC name? as I could not see an option/argument
to change using the classicupgrade.

Everything works well except for the DNS which I need to point to the samba
server for every machine clients (in my windows clients, I manually point
it to 192.168.254.254).

samba-tool domain classicupgrade --dbdir=/usr/local/samba-dec2019/private
 --realm=lumad.sandbox.net --dns-backend=SAMBA_INTERNAL /srv/samba/smb.conf

root at lumad-dc1 lumad2019]# samba-tool domain info 192.168.254.254
Forest           : lumad.sandbox.net
Domain           : lumad.sandbox.net
Netbios domain   : LUMAD
*DC name          : lumad-dc1.lumad.sandbox.net
<http://lumad-dc1.lumad.sandbox.net>*
DC netbios name  : LUMAD-DC1
Server site      : Default-First-Site-Name
Client site      : Default-First-Site-Name

We have DHCP server that automatically assigned the default DNS and I don't
have access over those servers however it already configured to point
to* lumad-dc1.sandbox.net
<http://lumad-dc1.sandbox.net>* in our DNS servers but not to
*lumad-dc1.lumad.sandbox.net
<http://lumad-dc1.lumad.sandbox.net>* as I got after the upgrade.

In the client, I got this issue...

Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are
not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you have
received this information, which has been recorded in the file
C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.

DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource record
used to locate a domain controller for domain "lumad-dc1.lumad.sandbox.net":

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._
msdcs.lumad-dc1.lumad.sandbox.net

The following domain controllers were identified by the query:
lumad-dc1.lumad.sandbox.net

However no domain controllers could be contacted.

Common causes of this error include:

- Host (A) or (AAAA) records that map the names of the domain controllers
to their IP addresses are missing or contain incorrect addresses.

- Domain controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the network or
are not running.

Hope someone can give insight into what possible option during the
classicupgrade or alter the samba DNS (current setup) to point to
lumad-dc1.sandbox.net.

Thanks.