[Samba] CTDB Setup Basics: Virtual IPs

Sherry Reese s.reese4u at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 23:29:21 UTC 2020

Hello everyone,

the docs @ https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Basic_CTDB_configuration talk
about the nodes file which should contain IPs from "private non-routeable
subnet". What is that exactly?

My 3 gluster nodes get their IPs from DHCP and those are 192.168.1.35,
192.168.1.36 and 192.168.1.37. These are the ones I should place inside the
nodes file right? I guess so, because the cluster is running.

Now it gets a bit confusing for me. The public_addresses file from
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Adding_public_IP_addresses should contain
public IP addresses which are used by clients to connect to the Samba
shares later on. However on my gluster nodes I only have one NIC which is
represented by eth0.

1. How can 192.168.1.35 and another public IP be assigned to the same nic
(eth0)?
2. If I choose 192.168.1.200 for the public IP then how do I tell my DHCP
server not to assign this address to other nodes?
3. Do I assign 1 or addresses to 3 gluster nodes and why?

This is a small home network. How do I set it up correctly for CTDB? My
clients are Macs, Windows PCs and CentOS servers.

Cheers
Sherry