[Samba] Can't get Samba to run with GlusterFS and CTDB

Sherry Reese s.reese4u at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 21:47:47 UTC 2020

Hello everyone,

I can't get Samba to open a share when I run the following command on a
Ubuntu client. My goal is to get a GlusterFS cluster of 3 nodes to get
running so I can open the volumes on Windows.

sudo smbclient //gluster03/glusterfs-videos -Usherry
WARNING: The "idmap backend" option is deprecated
WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

I don't understand what that means.

I am running this on 3 Ubuntu nodes so SELinux is disabled.

cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=18.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=bionic
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS"

In one of the log files I see an error but no idea why.

root at gluster03:/var/log/samba# tail -f log.gluster03
[2020/01/20 22:39:06.055031,  0]
../source3/param/loadparm.c:3350(process_usershare_file)
  process_usershare_file: stat of
/var/lib/samba/usershares/glusterfs-videos failed. No such file or directory

Can some help?

I was following the guides at
https://docs.gluster.org/en/latest/Administrator%20Guide/Accessing%20Gluster%20from%20Windows/
 and https://github.com/vfxpipeline/glusterfs/blob/master/sun1.sh to set it
up but all the "documentation" is very confusing and misleading.

Cheers
Sheery