[Samba] LDAP channel binding and LDAP signing?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jan 15 20:22:00 UTC 2020

Samba has, since the big 'badlock' release, defaults to refusing
plaintext, unsigned LDAP and also refusing to put Kerberos or NTLM over
TLS.

This is controlled by "ldap server require strong auth"

Samba does not implement channel bindings (patches or funding welcome)
which is why we don't allow SASL (NTLM/Kerberos) over TLS, we strongly
recommend relying on the NTLM or Kerberos layer for that security, it
provides good mutual authentication without needing to check
certificates against a private CA.

Also, at the time the the badlock patch was done no known client use it
for LDAP, the feature originally came from HTTP Negotiate.

So, in short, Samba (Metze gets the credit) realised this was a bad
thing in 2016 (and yes, we shared our thoughts then). I'm glad
Microsoft has since then come to the same conclusion.

What will be a problem, as I read it, is winbindd if 'ldap ssl ads =
yes' is set but and ldbsearch (against ldaps:// URLS, when not using a
simple bind).

I trust this clarifies things,

Andrew Bartlett