[Samba] smbclient can access sysvol Windows clients cannot

Sebastian Lisic lisic at uw.edu
Fri Jan 10 21:52:58 UTC 2020

If I create directory on the DomB DC named /test and create the following share:

[test]
        path = /test
        read only = No
        acl_xattr:ignore system acls = yes

DomA users can access that through Windows on DomB without issue, but if I set [sysvol] to "path - /test they cannot".

There appears to be some special magic with [sysvol] I am unaware of. I'm not seeing any errors in the logs, so I'm lost on why smbclient works and Windows does not. I've since tested a Windows 10 machine and it has the same problem.